This relocation checklist will help prepare you for your move by providing a helpful timeline of moving tips and checklists to get you organized and minimize stress leading up to the big day.
A MONTH BEFORE THE MOVE
- Reserve your move. You can schedule your move online at www.KAL.services or by calling (845) 505-5575
- Order boxes and moving supplies and begin packing items you don’t use often. Clearly label each box with its contents and the room it’s destined for.
- Start to clean out closets, the garage, and attic.
- Host a garage sale or donate your unwanted things to charity.
- Arrange to transfer school records.
- Get change of address cards from your local post office or change your address online.
- Notify magazines, charge accounts, insurance companies, clubs, and all other organizations of your change of address.
- If possible, get owner’s manuals for appliances in your new home.
ONE TO TWO WEEKS BEFORE THE MOVE
- Label all moving boxes as you pack. Write the destination room on the top and sides of each moving box to ensure it gets to the right place in your new home.
- Schedule disconnects for utilities such as gas, electric, water and the telephone. If you have a landline, do not disconnect it until after your move. Arrange for refunds that are due, and schedule connections for your new residence.
- Cancel newspapers, Internet, cable TV, security, pest control, cleaning help, lawn maintenance, and any other services you receive.
THE WEEK OF THE MOVE
- Mail in your change of address forms.
- Make an “essentials box” of things you will need once you arrive at your new house (paper products and utensils, light bulbs, small tool kit, trash bags, scissors, etc.). Load the essentials box onto the moving truck last so that it’s the first thing you unload upon arrival.
- Clean the stove and finish up any last minute cleaning before move day.
- Finish up packing and be sure all items are boxed and ready to go prior to the movers’ arrival.
- Arrange for parking. Make sure you know where your moving equipment will go and where any moving help will park. Obtain parking permits if needed.
THE DAY BEFORE THE MOVE
- Clean the refrigerator, then defrost and dry.
- Get enough cash to tide you over. Cash comes in handy if you need to order pizza during your move, or dinner in your new place!
- Pack for travel. Bring enough clothes and toiletries to cover the days you’ll be traveling as well as the first days in your new home. Don’t’ forget to refill prescriptions and bring them with you.
- Say goodbye to your neighbors!
DAY OF THE MOVE
- Be sure you’re present when the movers arrive so you can walk them through the home and indicate what you need moved or anything in particular they should be aware of.
- Clear a path. Make nothing is blocking the walkway from the house to the moving truck/container/pod.
- Drain gas and oil from lawn equipment, gas grills, heaters, etc.
- Once all belongings are loaded onto the moving truck, be sure to do one more walkthrough and lock all windows and outside doors, in addition to checking all lights and your thermostat are off before heading to your new home.